The MARC LIBRARY VAN services six small schools in the Warrnambool area. The participating schools include Panmure, Cudgee, Grasmere, Noorat, Nullawarre, and Woolsthorpe. The MARC library provides a range of resources to approximately 320 students and 25 teaching staff across the six schools.
The MARC LIBRARY VAN is at Panmure Primary School on a Monday and Tuesday afternoon, and for a two-hour session on a Wednesday morning. Mrs Christine Howlett is responsible for the delivery of a rich and engaging MARC Library Program during these library sessions. The students have a borrowing session on a weekly basis and are given the opportunity to borrow a range of new release books and quality reading material from the MARC van.
The MARC Library Program aims to:
- Promote a LOVE OF READING and a genuine appreciation of literature amongst all students
- Contribute to the development of a strong reading culture amongst the students at Panmure Primary School
- Provide opportunities for students to celebrate reading, for example, Book Week Celebrations and Author Visits
- Keep updated with new release reading material that is of high interest to students and staff
- Provide a wide range of resources that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, thinking skills, problem-solving and cognitive development
- Provide a weekly library lesson that is highly engaging for the students and aims to further develop skills across a range a Curriculum Areas, with a literacy-based focus
- Provide teaching staff with highly effective teaching materials that will enrich and support the Victorian Curriculum, taking into consideration the varied interests, abilities and needs of the different cohorts and individual students.